Katie Ledecky (Wikipedia)
|Full name||Kathleen Genevieve Ledecky|
|Born||March 17, 1997 |
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||143 lb (65 kg)|
|Club||Curl Burke Swim Club|
Kathleen Genevieve Ledecky (born March 17, 1997) is an American swimmer who specializes in freestyle events. She is a member of the 2012 United States Olympic team and will compete in the 800-meter freestyle event at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
Ledecky was born in 1997, the daughter of David and Mary Gen Ledecky. Ledecky's mother swam collegiately for the University of New Mexico. Ledecky currently resides in Bethesda, Maryland, where she currently attends Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart and is a rising sophomore.She trains with the Curl Burke Swim Club under coach Yuri Suguiyama. During the summers, she swims for Palisades Swim Team in Bethesda.
2012 Summer Olympic Games
At the 2012 United States Olympic Trials in Omaha, Nebraska, the first major competition for her, Ledecky made the Olympic team for the first time by placing first in the 800-meter freestyle with a time of 8:19.78, which was over two seconds ahead of second-place finisher Kate Ziegler. In Omaha, Ledecky also placed third in the 400-meter freestyle (4:05.00) and ninth in the 200-meter freestyle (1:58.66). Her third-place finish in the 400-meter freestyle is the fastest time ever swum by a 15 to 16-year-old American, breaking the national age group record previously held byJanet Evans. At 15 years old, she is the youngest member of the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team, including athletes from all sports.
Personal bests (long course)As of July 4, 2012.
|200 m freestyle||1:58.66||Omaha||June 27, 2012|
|400 m freestyle||4:05.00||Omaha||June 26, 2012|
|800 m freestyle||8:19.78||Omaha||July 1, 2012|
- Amy Shipley, "U.S. Olympic swimming trials: Katie Ledecky, 15, earns surprising berth,"The Washington Post (July 1, 2012). Retrieved July 5, 2012.
- "2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials (swimming) – Women's 800 metre freestyle (final)". Omega Timing. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
- "2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials (swimming) – Women's 400 metre freestyle (final)". Omega Timing. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
- "2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials (swimming) – Women's 200 metre freestyle (semi-finals)". Omega Timing. Retrieved 2012-07-01.
- Amy Shipley, "U.S. Olympic swimming trials: Katie Ledecky breaks Janet Evans’s 400 freestyle age group record," The Washington Post (June 27, 2012). Retrieved July 5, 2012.
- Associated Press, "More Women Than Men on U.S. Team," The New York Times (July 10, 2012). Retrieved July 11, 2012.